在科技業的眾神殿中,大多數 CEO 都遵循著一套可預測的劇本。然而,Palantir 的創辦人兼 CEO Alex Karp 卻是一個徹頭徹尾的異類。當介紹人形容他「看起來像是要去火人祭(Burning Man)的路上迷了路」,或是稱他為「矽谷的哲學家」時,這不僅僅是玩笑,更是對他反傳統本質的精準描繪。
Palantir 本身就是這種精神的延伸。其內部員工,包括介紹人 Sham 本人,都直言不諱地形容它為一個「邪教(cult)」,而非一家普通的公司。這種強烈的歸屬感與獨特的文化,源自於其領導者 Karp 那深不可測且充滿哲思的經營理念。
本文將深入剖析從 Sham 的介紹與 Karp 本人的演講中,提煉出的五個最令人驚訝、最具衝擊力且反直覺的觀點。這些觀點不僅揭示了 Palantir 的成功密碼,更為我們提供了一個理解未來世界價值變遷的獨特視角。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
一個價值數千億美元的科技巨頭,其核心工程理念竟源自於巴黎的一家餐廳,這聽起來匪夷所思,卻是 Palantir 的真實故事。Alex Karp 曾問過年輕的 Sham 一個問題:「你知道為什麼法國餐廳那麼出色嗎?」
Karp 的答案顛覆了傳統認知。他認為,法國餐廳之所以卓越,部分原因在於「服務人員同時也是廚房團隊的一員」。他們不僅僅是傳遞菜餚的媒介,更是從「第一性原理」深刻理解食物的人。他們了解食材的來源、烹飪的技術、背後的方法論,是「交付完整體驗的複雜系統(a complex system of delivering the experience)」中不可或缺的一環。
這個看似無關的觀察,直接啟發了 Palantir 極其重要的核心概念——「前線部署工程師(forward deployed engineering)」。Palantir 的工程師不只是坐在辦公室裡寫程式碼,他們必須深入客戶所在的戰場、辦公室或實驗室,成為解決方案的一部分,親身體驗並解決客戶最棘手的問題。正如 Sham 自嘲的,他那康乃爾和史丹佛的頂尖學歷,最終讓他有資格去客戶那裡當一名「服務生」。這種跨領域的深度整合思維,正是 Palantir 能夠解決其他公司無法觸及的複雜問題的關鍵。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
當被問及最重要的商業書籍時,大多數 CEO 可能會提到《從 A 到 A+》或某本管理學大師的著作。但對 Alex Karp 而言,答案卻截然不同。
To Alex, it was the most important business book ever written. Well, maybe co-equal with Menachem Begin's biography.
對他來說,史上最重要的商業書籍,是古老的印度史詩《薄伽梵歌》(Bhagavad Gita)。Karp 從中學到的核心智慧來自於奎師那(Krishna)引導王子阿周那(Arjun)投入戰鬥的故事:你必須「有選擇性地揭示真相,匹配對方準備好聽的內容和方式」。這不僅是一種溝通策略,更是一種深刻的領導哲學,要求領導者洞悉人性,並以最有效的方式傳遞願景與指令。
如果說他的商業書籍選擇已經足夠令人驚訝,那麼他心中的「最佳商業電影」則更顯離奇——竟是功夫片《少林三十六房》(The 36 Chambers of Shaolin)。這部電影的情節是理解其深意的關鍵:主角必須先通過一系列看似毫不相干、卻極其艱苦的基礎訓練——例如挑水來增強臂力,用頭撞沙袋來強化頭部——才能開始學習真正的功夫招式。這部電影完美隱喻了 Palantir 的文化:唯有經歷殘酷的基礎磨練,才能獲得真正的精通。這種對掌握基本功的信念,直接體現在他對團隊極限挑戰的反應中。
這種源自古老智慧、對掌握基本功的信念,也直接影響了 Karp 對 AI 時代未來工作所提出的驚人預測。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
在關於 AI 將如何改變世界的討論中,Karp 提出了一個極具衝擊性且令人不安的預測:一場劇烈的勞動力價值重估即將到來。然而,這不僅僅是經濟預測,更是一場關於社會同理心的道德重整。
他毫不留情地指出,過去被視為「高端」的勞動力,其價值將會暴跌。例如,一位擁有頂尖大學人文學位、在非營利組織工作的人,他們所從事的許多分析、寫作和組織工作,將能被大型語言模型(LLM)輕易取代。從經濟角度來看,這些技能將變得「客觀上沒有價值(objectively not valuable)」。
與此同時,另一類人的價值將會飆升。那些擁有特定知識的技職型勞工(vocationally trained people),例如懂得如何照護病人的護士、能夠執行複雜手術的醫生,或是知道如何建構、保護和應用數據的技術人員,將變得「極其重要(excruciatingly important)」。因為他們擁有的,是無法被 AI 輕易複製的、與物理世界緊密結合的特定領域知識。
對 Karp 而言,這不僅是市場的轉變,更是一場遲來的正義。他認為,我們的社會長期以來存在著同理心的錯配,過度關注「史丹佛畢業生」的焦慮,卻忽視了那些「真正在工作的人(men and women that actually do work)」的掙扎。AI 時代的價值反轉,正是一次強制的糾偏,迫使社會重新尊重和珍視那些創造具體價值的人。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
當 AI 的認知能力可能超越人類時,我們將如何證明自身的優越性?人類的價值和權利根基何在?Karp 從美國憲法的根基中,找到了一個獨特且強大的哲學答案。他的論證邏輯清晰而深刻:
歷史前提: 在歷史上,人類的權利體系,除了美國之外,大多是隱性地建立在我們優於其他物種的認知能力之上。
AI 的威脅: AI 將很快挑戰甚至超越人類的認知能力。
必然結果: 因此,任何以智力優越性為基礎的權利體系,在面對比我們更聰明的 AI 時,都將面臨根本性的崩潰威脅。
Karp 的解方: 美國的體系是獨一無二的,因為其權利基礎並非源於人類自身。《獨立宣言》明確指出,人人生而平等,享有「造物主賦予的、不可剝奪的權利(endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights)」。
Our rights are not given to us by our intellectual superiority. ... They're given to us by our right that we were born here as Americans, and those rights are indelible. This is a very big distinction.
Karp 的論點是,正因為美國的權利基礎超越了人類自身的智力水平——它來自一個更高的、外在的權威——所以即使未來出現了認知能力遠超人類的 AI,人類的根本價值與權利依然穩固,不會因為智力上的被超越而動搖。在他看來,這種獨特的權利體系,構成了美國在 AI 時代最核心的文化與道德壁壘。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
一個好的領導者,在聽到團隊筋疲力盡、瀕臨崩潰時,應該給予安慰和支持。但 Alex Karp 的反應,再次證明了他不是一個常規的領導者。
Sham 回憶起 2008 年,他帶領一個 10 人團隊,在一個關鍵的軍方部署中,連續 14 天、每天工作 19 小時。在身心俱疲的極限狀態下,他打電話給 Karp,沮喪地說:「這行不通,是不可持續的。」他預期得到的是擔憂或解決方案,但電話那頭傳來的,卻是 Karp「深沉而心滿意足的笑聲(deep and self-satisfied laughter)」。
當時的 Sham 感到震驚和不解。但事後他才明白,Karp 的大笑並非冷酷無情。恰恰相反,那是因為他看到了通往勝利的唯一路徑——正如《少林三十六房》中的磨練。在那一刻,Karp 看到了他的團隊正在經歷屬於他們自己的「第三十六房」:一場殘酷、必要、且「不可持續」的試煉,而這正是鍛造真正實力、成就偉業的必經之路。當客戶、投資者,甚至他最核心的員工都看到崩潰時,Karp 卻早已預見,正是這種瘋狂的努力,才是通往成功的唯一道路。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
從法國餐廳的服務生到印度的古老史詩,從對勞動力價值的顛覆性預測到對憲法精神的哲學思考,Alex Karp 的思想核心,是一場偉大的「重新連結」(re-tethering):將工程師重新連結到真實世界(法國服務生);將領導力重新連結到永恆的智慧(《薄伽梵歌》);將經濟價值重新連結到具體的技能(藍領工作);將人類權利重新連結到超越智力的基礎(上帝賦予的權利);以及將成功重新連結到那些被他人視為非理性的、原始的、「不可持續」的奮鬥之上。
他的觀點不斷提醒我們,世界的價值天平正在發生劇烈的傾斜——從理論轉向實踐,從抽象的論述轉向具體的貢獻。
在一個日益由 AI 主導的世界裡,我們該如何將社會的同理心與尊重,從菁英階層所珍視的抽象價值,轉移到那些真正動手建造、保護和服務的人所創造的具體價值之上?
[APPLAUSE]
[鼓掌]
Well, I'd like to introduce you to Alex Karp.
嗯,我想介紹給大家 Alex Karp。
And I know all of you are thinking, well,
而且我知道各位都在想,嗯,
this man needs no introduction.
這位先生不需要介紹。
And you're right about that.
而且你說得對。
But you know Alex Karp, the tech mogul,
但你認識 Alex Karp,那位科技巨頭,
the defender of the West, the man
西方的守護者,那位
who dreams of spraying fentanyl-laced urine
夢想噴灑鎮靜劑混濾尿的人
on short sellers, the author of The Technological Republic,
對於短線賣空者,這位《技術共和國》的作者,
the subject of The Philosopher in the Valley,
《山澗哲人》的主題,
the only person who has an optimistic view of AI
唯一對 AI 持樂觀看法的人
and American greatness.
以及美國的偉大。
But in other words, you know Alex Karp, my boss.
但換句話說,你知道 Alex Karp,我的老板。
And I want you to know Alex Karp, my friend.
而且我想讓你知道 Alex Karp,我的朋友。
Next to my late father, no person
在我過世父親之後,沒有人
has a greater impact on my life than Alex.
比我生命中的 Alex 影響更大。
And that's true in obvious ways--
而且這在明顯的方式上也是真的--
the success of Palantir, the faith that he's placed in me.
帕蘭提爾的成功,他對我的信任。
But it's also true in other ways.
但它也在其他方式上是真的。
He's been my rabbi.
他一直是我的拉比。
He's been my confidant, my guru.
他是我的摯友,我的導師。
And at times when I've given him cause--
有時候當我給了他理由——
and I've given him cause-- he's been my parole officer.
而我確實給了他理由——他成了我的假釋官。
One of the first things Alex told me 20 years ago
二十年前,亞歷克斯告訴我第一件事之一
when we started working together is
當我們開始合作時是
that he thought I had the constitution of a goat.
那他認為我有羊的體質。
And he did not mean the Gen Z expression
而且他並不是指最偉大的人類表達方式
of greatest of all time.
的 Gen Z。
He meant the animal, that it seemed
他指的是那個動物,那個看起來
like I could survive eating trash and plastic
好像我可以在荒蕪的廢墟中生存下來,靠吃垃圾和塑膠
in a barren wasteland.
為生。
And such a skill would come in handy in Washington DC.
而這樣的技能在華盛頓特區會很有用。
That's not a standard rubric for getting a job.
這不是尋找工作的一個標準標準。
But there's nothing conventional about Alex.
但 Alex 沒有任何傳統的東西。
Some months later, he asked me if I
幾個月後,他問我是否
knew why French restaurants were so good.
知道為什麼法國餐廳這麼好。
I in fact did not.
我實際上並沒有。
At the age of 24, the closest I got to a French restaurant
在 24 歲時,我離法國餐廳最近
is a French fry.
也僅僅是薯條。
He educated me that it's in part because the wait staff are
他教我這是部分因為服務員們
actually part of the kitchen staff.
實際上是廚房人員的一部分。
They understand the technique.
他們了解技巧。
They understand how the food is made.
他們了解食物是如何製作的。
They understand the methodology.
他們了解方法論。
In other words, they understand the food from first principles.
換句話說,他們從基礎原則上理解食物。
They were part of a complex system
他們是複雜系統的一部分
of delivering the experience.
提供這段體驗。
And this was his inspiration for creating the conception
而這是他創立這個構想的靈感來源
of forward deployed engineering.
在遠程部署的工程中。
Now, I didn't have the heart to tell my father
現在,我沒有勇氣告訴我的父親
that my Cornell and Stanford education was about to qualify
我的康奈爾和史丹福大學教育即將使我有資格
me to be a waiter at Shea Carp.
在 Shea Carp 擔任服務員。
But that's what happened.
但是這就是發生了。
My father and Alex did agree on one thing for certain,
我父親和 Alex 確實有一件事達成共識,
which is that the Bhagavad Gita is amongst the most important
這是說《博伽梵歌》是其中最重要的之一
books ever written.
所有寫過的書籍。
Now, my father believed this despite never having read it.
現在,我爸爸雖然從未讀過,卻相信這個。
To Alex, it was the most important business book
對亞歷克斯來說,這本書是最重要的商業書籍
ever written.
從未寫過。
Well, maybe co-equal with Menachem Begin's biography.
嗯,或許與梅納赫姆·畢京的傳記同等重要。
And frequently, and as my literal guru in this case,
而且經常地,並且在我這個情況下,我的字面上的指導者,
he'd remind me of how Krishna selectively revealed
他會提醒我克里希那如何選擇性地向阿周那揭示
the truth to Arjun as he was driving his chariot
真相,當他正在駕駛他的戰車
into battle, purposefully matching
進入戰鬥時,有意地匹配
what Arjun was ready to hear and how he was ready to hear it.
阿朱準備聽什麼以及他準備如何聽。
And that begs the question, of course,
這就引發了問題,當然
I'm sure you have, which is, what movie does Alex
我確定你一定有,那就是,亞歷克斯看什麼電影
hold as the most important business movie ever made?
將其視為史上最重要的商業電影?
Well, that would be the Kung Fu classic, the 36 Chambers
嗯,這就是功夫經典,少林三十六房
of Shaolin.
的功夫。
If you know the plot, then maybe you can see why.
如果你知道劇情,或許就能明白為何。
But for everyone else, you're just
但對其他人來說,你只是
going to have to ask Alex.
將必須詢問 Alex。
Talking to Alex has always been like talking to an oracle.
與 Alex 交談始終像是在與神諭對話。
Even when you understand what he's saying,
即使你了解他在說什麼,
the revelations are inscrutable.
那些啟示也是難以理解的。
When I do understand him, the predictions beggar belief.
每當我了解他時,他的預測令人難以置信。
But then somehow, he's almost always right.
但不知何故,他幾乎總是正確的。
Al, as his friends at Haverford knew him, is a Mench.
Al,正如他的哈弗羅德朋友們所認識的他,是一個 Mench。
He wants to see you succeed.
他想看到你成功。
You.
你。
He has a wildly positive-sum view of the world.
他對世界抱持著極度正和的觀點。
Rooted in a deep belief in the individual, especially
根植於對個體的深刻信念,尤其是
the individual as an artist.
個體作為藝術家的信念。
And he modeled Palantir as an artist colony, not a factory.
他將 Palantir 模型化為藝術村,而不是工廠。
In place of conformity to process,
取代過程的順從,
he created a place that celebrated creative rebellion.
他創造了一個讚美創意反叛的地方。
A place of risk-taking.
一個冒險的地方。
A place that seeks to tease out, develop, and back the artist.
一個試圖挖掘、發展並支持藝術家的地方。
And he says that makes us feel like a cult.
他說這讓我們感覺像是一個教派。
I agree, we're a cult, not a company.
我同意,我們是一個教派,不是一家公司。
But he'd quipped now and again, he
但他偶爾會開玩笑說
was the leader of a cult, but had none of the benefits.
是個邪教領袖,卻毫無好處。
[LAUGHTER]
[笑聲]
I'll leave you with one final story.
我會再給你一個最後的故事。
I remember in 2008, our first Department of War deployment.
我記得在 2008 年,我們第一次的戰爭部隊部署。
I was leading a team of 10 people.
我帶領了一隊 10 個人。
We were working for literally 14 days straight, 19-hour days.
我們實際上連續工作了 14 天,每天 19 小時。
We consumed a heroic amount of Red Bull.
我們消耗了英雄般的紅牛。
At the end of this, I called him incredibly grumpy, humorless
在這之後,我把他叫得非常暴躁,沒有幽默感
from sleep deprivation.
從睡眠不足導致的。
And I told him, this is not going to work.
我跟他说,這樣是行不通的。
It's unsustainable.
這是不長久的。
You know, like, we're going to fail here.
你知道,我們會在這裡失敗的。
Without skipping a beat, he broke out
毫不猶豫,他爆發出
in deep and self-satisfied laughter.
深沉且滿足的笑聲。
What was probably 30 seconds, but in my humorless mood,
那或許只有 30 秒,但在我的無趣情緒中,
felt like 10 minutes.
感覺像 10 分鐘。
And I was shocked.
而且我感到震驚。
And of course, he understood that this was the only way
當然,他明白這是唯一能讓事情成功的辦法,
that it was going to work, even if no one else did,
即使其他人都不明白,
not our customers, not our investors, and least of all,
不是我們的客戶,不是我們的投資者,而且最後也不是。
not me.
不是我的。
The Hudson Institute is presenting Alex
漢普頓學院正在介紹亞歷克斯
with the Herman Kahn Award, which
與赫爾曼·凱恩獎,這個
is fitting because both men share many similar qualities,
這很適合,因為兩位男士擁有許多相似的特質
brilliant, unconventional, and people who make others nervous
卓越、不尋常,以及讓人緊張的人
at dinner parties.
在晚宴上。
[LAUGHTER]
[笑聲]
Herman thought about the unthinkable,
赫爾曼思考了不可思議的事。
and Alex built a company to make sense of it all.
且 Alex 建立了一家公司來解釋這一切。
And beneath that philosopher's hair in the ski gear
在那位哲學家的滑雪裝下
is someone who believes that serious technology should
是一位相信嚴肅科技應該
serve serious purposes, that the West needs to defend itself
服務嚴肅目的的人,認為西方需要自我防衛
with both wisdom and strength, and that you can't protect
以智慧與力量,且證明你無法保護
democracy without occasionally making everyone
民主而不時刻讓大家
a little uncomfortable.
稍感不適。
So please join me in welcoming a man who proves daily
所以請加入我,歡迎一位每天證明
that you can run a half-trillion-dollar tech
那你可以運營一家半萬億美元的科技
company while looking like you got lost on the way
公司,同時看起來像是在去燒燭人的路上迷路了
to Burning Man, Alex Skarp.
亞歷克斯卡爾普。
[LAUGHTER]
[笑聲]
[APPLAUSE]
[鼓掌]
Thank you.
謝謝您。
Thank you so much.
非常感謝您。
I-- you know, this award means a lot to me.
我… 您知道,這個獎項對我意義重大。
And I obviously-- you know, the alignment,
而且我當然-- 你知道,這種協調,
the way in which the founder and participants here
創辦人以及這裡的參與者
have shaped the world on the back of technology
在技術背後塑造世界的方式
is super impressive.
非常令人印象深刻。
I have a lot of remarks that I wanted to make.
我有許多想提出的意見。
But I would say for all of you who are younger and on your way
但我想對所有年輕且在路上的人說
to build important things, there is no greater award
為了建立重要的東西,沒有比這更偉大的獎勵
than getting a speech like that from Sham, especially
比從 Sham 那裡得到那樣的演說還要難,尤其是
since Sham can barely write.
由於 Sham 幾乎不會寫。
He must have spent a lot of time on that one.
他一定花費了很多時間在那上面。
[LAUGHTER]
[笑聲]
So it's--
所以它是--
[APPLAUSE]
[掌聲]
And we all know that the ups and downs we went through.
我們都知道我們經歷的起起伏伏。
Sham's father, he mentioned, was one
他提到,Sham 的父親是一位
of the great figures in building Palantir
在建立 Palantir 的傑出人物之一
and told Sham, you may never leave Palantir.
且告訴了 Sham,你或許永遠無法離開 Palantir。
That's probably why he didn't leave.
這大概就是他沒有離開的原因。
Also, with a great deal of love towards me,
此外,對我充滿了極大的愛意,
which I really appreciate.
我真的很感激。
And I'll tell you a story where maybe I've saved Sham
而且我會告訴你一個故事,或許我已經救過 Sham
and others many, many times.
以及其他人無數次。
But Sham saved me when after-- in COVID.
但 Sham 在 COVID 之後救了我。
I'm basically an introvert.
我基本上是個內向的人。
And every day, I enjoyed being alone more than the day before.
而且每天,我享受獨處的時光比前一天還多。
[LAUGHTER]
[笑聲]
Every day.
每天。
It's like the silence.
就像那寂靜。
It was just the best thing that--
這只是最棒的事——
I mean, obviously, once we realized
我的意思是,顯然,一旦我們意識到
we were going to survive, I was like, this is--
我們將會倖存下來,我就覺得,這就是——
and I have this place in New Hampshire.
我在新罕布夏州有一個地方。
I have new neighbors.
我有了新的鄰居。
I have bears and deer.
我有熊和鹿。
And actually, all the neighbors I do have
事實上,我所有的鄰居
vote the same way everyone in this room does.
都投和我這個房間裡每個人一樣的票。
So--
所以--
[LAUGHTER]
[笑聲]
And then Sham showed up one day, and he's like,
接著有一天 Sham 出現了,他說,
this isn't cutting it.
這樣不太行。
You've got to get back.
你必須回來。
You've got to come back.
你必須回來。
This isn't going to work.
這不會成功的。
And honestly, if anyone else had showed up,
而且誠實地說,如果其他人出現過,
I'd have been like, that's so nice you said that.
我會覺得,你那樣說真是太好了。
Really enjoying myself.
真的很享受。
Can't spend a lot of money in New Hampshire.
在新罕布夏不能花很多錢。
So-- and thank you.
所以——謝謝。
And thank you all the Pantirians who burned the midnight oil
並且感謝所有為了支持西方而熬夜的 Pantirians
and still do for sticking up for the West
以及仍然為此奮鬥的 Pantirians
and listening to my crazy ideas.
並且聽取了我那些瘋狂的點子。
And I wanted-- I have a bunch of remarks
而且我想要--我有一堆意見
that, to me, honestly, are less important than that
那,對我來說,誠實地說,比那個還不重要
introduction, which really means a lot to me.
介紹,這對我來說意義重大。
But just slightly remarks on what
但只是稍微提一下
have we learned about AI in business that's relevant?
我們在商業上學習過哪些與 AI 相關的相關知識?
And what I'm pretty certain is going to affect our culture.
而且我非常確定這將會影響我們的文化。
In philosophy, which I was once going to be my metier,
在哲學上,這曾經是我打算從事的專業,
and I realized should not be.
我意識到不該如此。
And for lots of reasons, but including most importantly,
由於許多原因,但最重要的是,
I thought it was more important to actually do things.
我認為,真正去做事情更重要。
But one of the things people forget about philosophy
但人們常忘記哲學的一件事
is the core concepts are actually
是核心概念實際上是
downstream from things that were built in the world.
源於世界中被建立的事。
Modern architecture led to modern philosophy.
現代建築導致了現代哲學。
Postmodern architecture led to postmodern philosophy.
後現代建築導致了後現代哲學。
And there's a weird way in which I
而且有一種很奇怪的方式,我
think a lot of the trends that look inscrutable to us
認為許多看起來對我們來說難以理解的趨勢
are actually downstream of tech and culture
實際上是技術和文化的下游
and are particularly pronounced in this culture, which
並且在這種文化中尤其明顯,這是
is the only culture that really, really matters in AI.
唯一在人工智能中真正真正重要的文化。
It's from chips and what we call ontology to large language
它來自晶片和我們所謂的本體到大型語言
models, to the talent, to the venture backing,
模型,對人才,對投資背後的企業,
to the understanding of how to organize the talent.
對於如何組織人才的認知。
They're in one country.
他們在單一國家。
And this, our country.
而這,是我們的國家。
And this does not make sense because it could have
而且這樣沒有意義,因為它可能會有
made sense in other trends.
在其他趨勢中很有道理。
But actually, the mathematical basis of large language models
但實際上,大型語言模型的數學基礎
started in Germany.
德國開始。
It was Leibniz's idea of how to do probability
這是萊布尼茲關於如何處理機率的想法
and then moved through France.
然後傳播到法國。
And the best mathematicians in the world
而世界上最好的數學家
are mostly in France and in Russia.
大多數都在法國和俄羅斯。
And so what was it and what is it
那麼它過去是什麼,現在又是什麼
about what's happening that is affecting
關於正在發生影響
things that look very odd?
那些看起來非常奇怪的事?
Like why do Ivy League trained humanities, highly privileged
例如為什麼受過常春藤聯盟培養的人文學科,享有高度特權
people vote against their interests,
人民投票反對他們的利害關係,
seemingly, to elect political figures with no experience
看起來,是要選擇沒有經驗的政治人物
and who clearly--
而且明顯地——
why are they misaligned with their own interests
他們為什麼與他們自己的利害關係不一致
would be a question.
會是一個問題。
And then why is it in America?
那麼為什麼它在美國?
And I want to just start with the most obvious point that
而我想要從最明顯的點開始,那個
is so obvious we forget, that the rights we have
如此明顯以致於我們忘記了,我們擁有的權利
in this country are inalienable.
在此國家是絕對不可分割的。
And they are given to us by God.
而且他們是由上帝賜予我們的。
As if you compare this to, say, the German Constitution, which
如果你拿這與,例如,德國憲法相比,
I wrote down the same.
我寫下的也是相同的。
It's where we talk about endowed by their creator
這裡是我們討論由創造者賦予
with certain unalienable rights.
某些不可剝奪的權利的地方。
The German version, which is translated roughly
德文版本,大致翻譯為
as a conscience of his responsibility before God,
他對上帝的責任感。
so not from God, and mankind inspired
所以不是來自上帝,而是由人類所啟發
by the will of an equal member to be part of--
由一位同等成員的意志來成為一部分--
this is rough translation--
這是粗略的翻譯--
united Europe and to contribute to world peace.
統一的歐洲,並為世界和平做出貢獻。
OK, so we have these rights that are incorporated
好的,我們擁有這些權利,它們被納入了
in our First and Second and in our Fourth Amendment
我們的第一、第二和第四修正案
that aren't given to us by humans.
而我們並非由人類賦予這些權利。
They're given to us by a higher power.
它們是由更高的力量賦予的。
That's very, very important in understanding.
那在理解上非常、非常重要。
When you look at businesses as an example,
以企業為例,
some businesses that are five years
有些企業雖然成立五年的樣子,
appeal to be 20 years old.
卻看起來像是有二十年歷史。
Some businesses-- we have Rupert Murdoch here,
某些企業——我們這裡有魯伯特·默多克,
who seems to be getting younger every year.
他看起來每年都變年輕。
Every year.
每年。
I've known you for a long time.
我認識你很久了。
Why is that?
為什麼呢?
And the principle-- and then you have this revolution.
而且這個原則——接著你就有這場革命。
It's happening in a country which, at least constitutionally,
這正在一個國家發生,至少在憲法上,
obviously not historically, is much, much older than Europe.
顯然在歷史上,比歐洲年長很多。
As Europe-- united Europe is under 30 years old,
歐洲--統一的歐洲才剛過三十歲,
and it's still not clear what it is, really.
而且它究竟是什麼,仍然不夠清楚。
You have a country which should not
你有一個國家,本來不應該
have been the leader of what matters in the world,
成為世界上重要事物的領導者。
but is the leader in the world.
但它是全球的領導者。
And then we have a very big moral problem.
接著我們有一個非常大的道德問題。
And the basis of most human rights,
以及大多數人權的基礎,
historically, philosophically, legally, except for in America,
歷史上、哲學上、法律上,除了美國之外。
have been based on our basically superior cognitive capacities.
基於我們基本上更優越的認知能力。
And as Huntington once famously said,
而且像亨廷頓曾經以名言說過,
we believe in the West that our values are superior.
我們相信西方認為我們的價值觀更優越。
The non-West understands it's our ability
非西方的人認為那是我們的能力
to organize violence, which is an intellectual and technological
為了組織暴力,這是一項知識與技術
endeavor.
的奮鬥。
And that's the thing that has made us, at the end of the day,
而且,這就是讓我們,最終來說,
be able to be superior over non-human life forms.
能夠超越非人生命形態的原因。
But with large language--
但隨著大型語言模型在人工智能中,
[APPLAUSE]
[掌聲]
But with large language models in AI, you actually
但隨著大型語言模型在人工智能中,你實際上
have the first time where we--
第一次有我們--
how do we justify our obvious superiority,
如何解釋我們明顯的優勢,
not just as a culture, but as a species,
不僅僅是作為一種文化,更是作為一個物種,
vis-a-vis something that may be able to do cognitive things
相較於那些可能能夠進行認知活動
that we can't do?
而我們無法做到的事物?
And we are the lone country that has the basis for this.
我們是唯一擁有這個基礎的國家。
Our rights are not given to us by our intellectual superiority.
我們的權利並非來自於我們的智力優越。
They're not given to us by consensus built in Germany
他們不是由德國建立的共識給我們的
or in the United Kingdom.
或是在英國。
They're not built to dedicate to world peace,
他們並非為了 dedicate to world peace 而建造,
so that that would be nice.
那樣就會很棒。
They're given to us by our right that we were born here
他們是憑藉我們作為美國人的權利賜予給我們的,
as Americans, and those rights are indelible.
而這些權利是不可磨滅的。
This is a very big distinction.
這是一個非常顯著的區別。
[APPLAUSE]
[掌聲]
And it's one that we neglect and do not talk about,
而且這是我們忽略並不討論的一點,
and for lots of reasons many in the Valley
許多原因讓我們在谷中
may not be interested in talking about.
可能不感興趣談論。
And then there's-- and then why are these so important?
那麼,接下來是——那麼為什麼這些如此重要?
Well, first of all, so obviously we have our rights,
嗯,首先,顯然我們擁有自己的權利,
vis-a-vis the machine.
相對於機器。
And then you also have, what does it
然後你也還有,它到底是什麼
mean to be in a world where you have very high end labor being
意指身處一個勞動力非常頂尖的世界中
exceedingly valuable, formerly high end labor, meaning
極其寶貴,從前是高端勞力,意義
you studied humanities and you would
你學習人文學,你會
be working in a 501(c)(3) dedicated to the United Nations,
在一家致力於聯合國的 501(c)(3)機構工作,
not being objectively valuable?
難道這沒有客觀上的價值嗎?
I don't mean morally.
我並不是說道德上的。
Most of us here would look askance at that
我們這裡的大多數人都會對此表示質疑
as being misaligned with what they're saying.
似乎與他們所說的不一致。
But even if you don't view it that way,
但即使你不用這種看法,
the reality is a large language model can do all that work.
現實是大型語言模型可以完成所有這些工作。
And if it's an ontology, we can do it much, much better.
而且如果它是本體,我們可以做得好得多。
So it's objectively not valuable.
所以客觀上並沒有價值。
What is valuable is working class, vocationally trained
有價值的是勞動階級,職業培訓
people with specific knowledge.
具備特定知識的人。
And here I would see a tethering between the specificity
而這裡我會看到一種針對性之間的連接
of America, that we have a constitution given to us
美國,我們擁有一部由上帝賜予給我們的憲法
by God, that we believe in higher principles,
我們相信更高的原則,
that we defend them if we need to with our own guns,
如果我們需要,我們會用我們自己的槍來守護它們,
with our own free speech, and with our own rights of privacy,
用我們自己的言論自由,和我們自己的隱私權
and the specific things that create value in the world now,
以及目前在世界上創造價值的具體事物,
meaning specific knowledge of how to build something,
意指具體的知識,如何建造某事物,
how to target something, how to protect data,
如何針對某事物,如何保護數據,
how to be a nurse or a doctor.
如何成為護士或醫生。
These skills can be very levered and excruciatingly important.
這些技能可以非常有效,且極其重要。
So you have a constitutional and moral tethering
所以你有一個憲法與道德的束縛
of exactly what you would need in one specific culture,
正好是你在一種特定文化中需要的東西,
and that's this culture.
這就是這種文化。
But you're going to have a lot of turbulence,
但是你將會遇到很多波折,
because we're now moving from people who
因為我們現在正從那些
believe they deserve empathy.
認為自己值得同情的人們
And this is when I think the biggest tensions, one
轉變過來。而這就是我想說最大的緊張關係,一
of the very radical things about Palantir,
Palantir 的一些非常激進的方面,
that our enemies do not believe.
我們的敵人並不相信。
We at Palantir have maximal empathy for Americans,
我們在 Palantir 對美國人抱有極致的同理心,
for the right of Americans to be free,
對美國人享有自由的權利。
and for men and women that actually do work.
且對於真正工作的人,男性與女性而言。
And our society, if you look at any professions,
若觀察我們社會中的任何專業,
what you'll see, we read the law,
你會看到,我們讀法律,
so somehow the law will not allow
因此,法律在某种程度上不允許
us to protect Americans who are being murdered by fentanyl.
讓我們保護那些被芬太尼謀殺的美元國民。
But more Americans have died of fentanyl
但更多美國人死於芬太尼
than have died in any war since World War II.
自第二次世界大戰以來,已有超過兩千萬人死於各種戰爭。
If those were Stanford grads or Cornell grads,
如果那些是史丹福大學畢業生或康乃爾大學畢業生,
you can bet your last dollar the erudite jurisdictions would
您可以把最後一塊錢賭上,那些博學的管轄區域會
read the law so that you could stop that.
讀那條法律,以便您能夠阻止那件事。
But they're not.
但是它們不是。
They're working class.
它們是勞動階級。
They're mostly male.
他們大多是男性。
They're mostly white.
他們大多是白人。
And mostly people don't care.
而且大多數人不在乎。
And we have to change that.
而我們必須改變這種狀況。
When things go wrong because those people know that no one
當事情出錯,因為那些人知道沒有人
cares about them, that's also our fault.
關心他們,那也是我們的錯。
Like not anyone in this room, but we don't show empathy.
就像這個房間裡沒有人,但我們不表達共鳴。
If you look at, for example, the way analysts more neutrally
如果你看,例如,分析師更中立地
do models, they love the people they like.
模型,他們喜歡他們喜歡的人。
It shows up downstream in the model.
它在下游模型中顯示出來。
That's why Palantir was undervalued.
那就是為什麼 Palantir 被低估了。
We were undervalued and misunderstood
我們被低估了,而且不被理解。
because we were doing radical, crazy stuff they didn't like.
因為我們所做的那些他們不喜歡的極端、瘋狂的事情。
If you look all across the world,
如果你看看全世界,
and what you're seeing go on in America now
以及美國現在正在發生的事情
is an enormous shift towards we have to actually look
是一場巨大的轉變,我們必須真正去看待。
at where the value is created and have empathy with people
在產生價值的所在處,並與人產生同理心
who really deserve it.
那些真正值得的人。
And those people have not got enough empathy.
而這些人並未獲得足夠的同理心。
And technology is about to change that.
而科技即將改變這一點。
And it's going to change everything politically
而且這將改變所有政治方面
because it is actually real.
因為它確實是真實的。
The worker, the person on the front,
工人,前線的人,
the people that write the scripts that protect us,
那些寫出保護我們劇本的人
all those projects you saw are being
所有那些你看到的專案都在進行中
done by people with vocational training in the military.
由接受過軍事職業訓練的人員完成。
They're creating enormous value.
他們正在創造巨大的價值。
And they deserve the respect that they're going to ask for
他們值得他們所要求的尊重
and they're going to get.
而且他們將會得到。
And Palantir, and all of us are Palantir, are behind that.
而且派蘭提爾,以及我們所有人都是派蘭提爾,都在那背後。
And then conversely, how do you get a situation in the city
而且相反地,你如何在城市中得到一種情況
where you just vote for someone who
你只是投票給某個人
has no experience in doing what they're going to do?
沒有經驗做他們要做的?
None.
沒有。
I view myself as classically progressive.
我認為自己是典型的進步派。
You know what classically progressive is?
你知道什麼是典型的進步派嗎?
The government has to work.
政府必須努力工作。
You know what that means?
你知道這代表什麼嗎?
You need the very best people.
你需要最棒的人才。
Who are the people?
這些人是誰?
They have experience running complicated organizations.
他們有經驗運營複雜的組織。
They have ideas on how to run software.
他們有關於如何運行軟體的想法。
They understand the complexity of the law.
他們了解法律的複雜性。
They enforce it.
他們執行它。
If you're really serious about making things
如果你真的認真想讓事情
work for the worker, those are the people you vote for.
為勞工發展,那就是你要投票給的人。
Those are the people that need to be in charge.
那就是需要負責的人。
And that's why a lot of these crazy things
那就是為什麼這麼多瘋狂的事情
are actually very much explicable based
實際上非常可以解釋清楚,基於
on what is going on in AI and who's creating the value
正在發生的人工智慧以及誰在創造價值
and how they create it.
以及他們如何創造它。
Then last, maybe not least, on the AI front,
然後最後,或許並不至於最後,在人工智慧方面,
one of the reasons we are in a kind of a doom or AI circle
我們之所以處於一種末日或 AI 的循環中,其中一個原因在於
is because you can only explain the promise of AI
你只能解釋 AI 的承諾
if you understand and embrace the superiority of America
如果你了解並欣賞美國的優越性
and its culture.
及其文化。
Because there are dangers in AI.
因為人工智能有危險。
But the reality is there's only two cultures that
但事實上只有兩種文化
are going to win in the next year.
將會在來年獲勝。
It's going to be us or China.
將會是我們或中國。
Europe-- I spent half my life in Europe.
歐洲--我在歐洲度過了我一半的人生。
At this point, when we talk about Europe,
在這個時候,當我們談論歐洲,
we do exactly the same thing as when
我們做的是完全相同的事情,就像當時一樣
we hear about educational programs led by mayors
我們聽說由市長領導的教育計畫
or safety programs in the inner city.
或是在市區內的安全計畫。
We just say, I really hope it works out.
我們只是說,我真的希望它能够成功。
Please.
請。
And I want Europe to win.
而且我希望歐洲能贏。
But we're on our own.
但我們得靠自己。
And of course, there are dangers in AI.
當然,AI 也存在危險。
And AI is also and will never be anything other
而且 AI 也將永遠不會是任何其他東西
than a dual use technology.
比單一用途技術更複雜的雙用途技術。
But we must, must embrace our ability
但我們必須,必須擁抱我們的能力
to build it, our ability to own the chips,
來建立它,我們擁有晶片的能夠,
to own the software, build the large language models,
擁有軟體,建立大型語言模型,
and run very, very quickly.
並且非常,非常快速地運行。
Because again, to quote Huntington again,
因為再次引用亨廷頓的話,
if we are not the ones controlling the violence,
如果我們不是掌控暴力的人,
we will not be dictating the rule of law.
我們就無法制定法律規則。
The things we hold precious in this culture,
我們在這個文化中珍視的事物,
I would say embodied by our Constitution,
我會說體現在咱們的憲法中,
and especially in our first four amendments,
和特別是在我們的前四條修正案中,
those things will not be the same if we are not
如果我們不是,那些事情將不會一樣
the dominant technological culture in the world.
世界上主要的科技文化。
While we may have tons of disagreements on these things,
雖然我們可能對這些事情有許多不同意見,
those are really the alternatives.
但那些確實是替代方案。
And most of what we can do, in my view,
而在我看來,我們能做的最多的事情,
to counter adversaries is also to build the technology.
要對抗敵人也是建立技術。
And then one of the lessons of Palantir
%% 而 Palantir 教導我們的一個課程
is no one's coming to defend you.
就是沒有人會來保護你。
You have to defend yourself.
你必須自己保護自己。
We used to live in a world where you
我們曾經生活在一個世界裡,你
could rely on experts to articulate our vision.
可以依靠專家來闡述我們的願景。
But who showed up to articulate our vision
但誰來闡述我們的願景
in this last election in my hometown, formerly hometown?
在我們最後一次選舉中,在我們的故鄉,現在的故鄉?
If we're waiting for people to articulate and fight for us,
如果我們在等待人們為我們闡述和奮鬥
we are cooked.
我們完蛋了。
And the people who disagree with us
而不同意我們的人
are often better organized and more motivated.
通常更有組織性,更有動力。
And that's a huge problem we have to solve.
而這是一個我們必須解決的大問題。
Palantirians, half of the reason we succeeded
帕蘭提瑞亞人,我們成功的一半原因
is we were just motivated and very organized.
是我們充滿動機且非常有組織。
And very meritocratic.
而且非常注重績效。
Meritocracy is the most underestimated, powerful,
績效主義是最被低估、最強大的,
revolutionary tool that exists in any enterprise ever.
一個革命性的工具,在任何企業中都存在。
And that means--
這意味著--
Sham is a great example.
Sham 是一個很好的例子。
Sham was not everyone's cup of tea.
Sham 不是每个人的菜。
And he advanced because he--
而且他前進,因為他--
for really two reasons.
因為實際上有兩個原因。
He advanced because I thought he was
他前進了,因為我想他
going to be an incredible human being.
將會成為一個令人難以置信的人類。
And second-- and I'll leave you with this--
而且第二點——我就把這件事留給你——
because I saw him interacting with his brother.
因為我看到了他和他的哥哥互動。
And I was like, if he could love Palantir half as much
而且我這樣想,如果他對 Palantir 的愛有他對哥哥一半多,
as he loves his brother, we are going
我們就會……
to have the most important enterprise in the world.
擁有世界上最重要的企業。
And the capacity to identify and advance
並且辨識與推進的能力
people on an meritocratic base that have capacity to care
基於優勢主義的,擁有關懷能力的人們
is the single most revolutionary tool.
是單一最具革命性的工具。
And my kind of thinker has been infected,
我的思考方式已被感染,
meaning the progressive party of the Democrats,
意思是民主黨的進步派,
by people who do not believe in this.
被不相信這些的人。
And by the way, to my Democratic friends here,
而且,順便一提,在這裡的民主黨朋友們,
and whoever sees this, that we must stand up.
而且,任何看到這的人,我們必須站起來。
One of the most important lessons in the West
西方最重要的教訓之一
is if you do not fight--
就是你如果不戰鬥--
and as importantly, if you accept the logic
而且更重要的是,如果你接受邏輯
that you can never vote for somebody because of they
你絕對無法因為他們而投票給某人
have some belief structure you disagree with,
有一些你不同意的信念結構
you are empowering the radicals in your own party.
你正在幫助你自己的黨派中的基層人士。
And they will control everything,
他們將會控制一切
whether it's immigration in Germany, which functionally
是否是德國的移民問題,其功能上
controlled by people that still believe in chain migration,
由仍然相信連鎖移民的人控制,
because you could never do a coalition with the right,
因為你永遠無法與右派組成聯盟,
or whether it's the Democratic Party that is functionally
或是否是民主黨在功能上
being torn apart by people who believe
被相信的人撕裂
in anti-progressive, anti-meritocratic values
在反進步、反精英主義價值觀中
as embodied by not having a border.
以無邊框體現。
No progressive ever has believed in an open border.
沒有任何進步主義者曾相信開放邊境。
None has never existed, because that
無論何者皆不存在,因為那
undermines the value of workers and their labor.
摧毀勞工的價值及其勞動。
And if you want to see what happens to a culture when
而且,如果你想知道一種文化會發生什麼時候
you don't fight, look at--
你不用打架,看——
who's standing up in my former party
誰站在我以前的黨裡
to say this is ridiculous?
說這很荒謬嗎?
Who stood up in Germany to talk about migration?
在德國有誰站起來談論移民?
We cannot allow ourselves to become Europe.
我們不能允許自己成為歐洲。
We really have to fight.
我們真的必須奮鬥。
And I'm sure many in here are going
而且我確定在這裡的許多人將
to be involved in that.
參與其中。
And Palantir, I think, has been at the forefront of this.
而且,我認為 Palantir 一直站在這場運動的最前線。
And I'm most proud of the fact that we've
而且我最高興的是我們已經
been able to shift the culture to being in Silicon Valley,
成功轉變文化,變得像硅谷一樣,
away from being skeptical of America to being pro-America.
從懷疑美國變成支持美國。
The idea that you would give tools
那個想法是你要給工具
to give Americans an unfair advantage on the battlefield
為美國人提供戰場上的不公平優勢
was viewed as heretical until recently.
直到最近仍被視為異端。
Now it's viewed as common sense.
現在它被視為常識。
The idea that we enforced meritocracy
我們強制執行精英主義的觀念
when we were getting sued by the DOJ for basically just hiring
當我們被司法部告訴,基本上只是因為聘用了
the most qualified people.
最合格的人選時。
And if you do that and you succeed,
如果你那樣做並成功,
you can actually change the way people think.
你實際上可以改變人們的思維方式。
And thank you.
並且謝謝您。
[APPLAUSE]
[鼓掌]